Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, The Beaver and the British World. My name is Andrew Smith. I'm a Canadian, a historian by training, who is currently a postdoctoral research fellow at the Institute of Historical Research at the University of London. http://www.history.ac.uk/

My blog's title is a reference to my research interests. My current research project deals with Anglo-Canadian relations in 1867-1914 and is inspired by the growing body of literature on the 'British World'. The recent wave of historical writing on the many important ties that once connected the Dominions to Britain and each other helped inspire my current research, and I pay tribute to it with the title of my blog. 'Canada and the British World' might have been a good title for my blog, but it was already taken by an excellent book edited by Phil Buckner and R. D. Francis. http://www.ubcpress.ca/search/title_book.asp?BookID=4569

The major theme of this blog is Anglo-Canadian relations. However, it will also contain links to items dealing with my other academic interests. These include economic history, business history, Canadian history, federalism, and the New Institutional Economics.

No comments: